Friday, July 31, 2009

My New Recipe for Making Slideshow Movies

I found a sweet recipe for whipping up delectable slide show movies for my Film and American Government courses. This is simple and quick. Recently, I cooked up an American Political Party treat for the coming school year. Here's the recipe I used:

1) I recorded an mp3 with GarageBand. (Sometimes I just edit a "leftover") .

2) I searched for jpegs free of copyright restrictions. Some came via Advanced Image Search of Yahoo! in order to dig for Creative Commons photos. But the Library of Congress was a virtual treasure trove. The key to my search in their digital collection was to add the phrase no known restrictions on publication to any search. After a few hours, I had over a hundred public domain photos for my movie.

3) I created my title pages and other text files with Pages. It has wonderful templates for adding "spice" to my presentation, and it is easy to export the finished product as a jpeg.

4) I mixed my concoction together in PhototoMovie (recently praised in Summer Play with jpegs ). The mixing of mp3 and jpegs was simple: I simply dragged them into this easy-to-use application. The title pages and a few other slides were given specific placement, but for this movie I was not particularly concerned about matching the photos with the narration, so I set the presentation "Fit Photos to Title".

5) I exported this mix as a QuickTime movie.

6) I uploaded it to YouTube.

Viola! Sample my recipe and let me know what you think:


--------------------------------------
"Ingredients" Flickr Creative Commons photo by Frenkieb

2 comments:

Rick said...

Mr. Baker... Your slide shows are most impressive... Especially your keen attention to copyright... I've noticed that sites (especially facebook) are getting more aggressive in protecting copyrights... facebook is now using "voiceprint identification" software to ban uploaded "slide shows" that contain copyrighted audio tracks! YouTube is a little less aggressive... but you'll see warnings like this all over the place... "It may seem confusing when a video you produced yourself is removed for copyright violation. Take a second to consider everything that you put in the video. Was there a song? Footage from a movie, TV show, videogame or other YouTube video? If so, you may be infringing someone's copyright."

Detroit Sports Dork said...

Thanks, Rick. Once again you're channeling a topic on my mind (That truly frightens me). One of my upcoming blog posts is about the delightful success I have had getting permissions to use text copyright material from academics (and online journalists). This has really helped me with the slide shows I'm using for film class. A fellow ADE also told me that Sony gave his students broad permissions to use music for their class work.

Blog Archive