Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Old Habits Are Hard to . . . Keep

Change is now. I started Delicious a month ago. I started Twittering two weeks ago. The links I share below were discovered through Twitter and organized through Delicious. And it was SO easy. As I've tried to convey to skeptical friends, we are in the midst of a radical communications' change. And as these tools become popularized, they become easier to use. So this isn't about not "getting" computers or the internet. It's about recognizing that there were 100,000,000 hits on YouTube in October. It's about understanding that the old industrial model of sharing news by grinding up trees and shipping them to our doorsteps is rapidly vanishing. It's about delighting in the easy ways one has of accessing and organizing information wherever you want it. It's about joining the global community at its own terms. Change is now.

I'm sharing links to short articles on communication. I found them all provocative and I hope something here provokes a comment from you!

College Admissions in the Google Age. My guess is that the marketing and admissions departments at universities are ahead of the educators in recognizing how communications are evolving.

100 million YouTube viewers This should be shared with anyone who believes that teaching how to understand communication through text should monopolize over even dominate the curriculum.

HOW TO: Make a Widget From Any New York Times Feed If you start your own blog, you'll want to know about this. My source in the publishing industry says that the NYT believes it will cease publishing on dead trees within five years. They are trying all kinds of technology at their site. Notice that I have planted a Times widget in my sidebar.

Rupert Murdoch: The internet won't kill off newspapers As one who subscribes to Newspaper Death Watch RSS, I found Murdoch's commentary to be refreshingly contrarian. He shares a vision on how newspapers will survive in the midst of 21st free media.

How Google is Unlocking the Hidden Ad Value of Old Media describes an amazing archive for print publications, searchable online.

No comments:

Blog Archive