Monday, August 23, 2010

Suggestions for Group Research [Video]

Group research can be a tricky bit of business. What kinds of steps may be taken to encourage accountability, communication, and quality? I recently produced a short video for the specific purpose of helping out teachers who are venturing into Challenge Based Learning. However, the suggestions apply to other types of group projects as well.



------------------------------
This movie was made with the following tools: Dragon Dictation (iPhone), Voila, Evernote, Flicker Creative Commons, Photo to Movie, and GarageBand.


2 comments:

Lynn Waldsmith said...

Nice visuals Larry. Do you give students parameters as far as minimum/maximum number of sources they need to use? I know maximum is hardly an issue but when assigning articles or papers I always get students who ask "How many sources should we use?" I tell them the more the better but if I don't require a minimum of say, 3 or 5, I end up getting some one-source assignments.

Detroit Sports Dork said...

Thanks, Lynn. Strangely, in my seven go-rounds, this has never emerged as an issue. Usually the group members divide "research" so quantity is not a problem....though discerning quality is an important part of the learning experience! Also since I am a participant on the google doc there is probably some implicit pressure for some students, though I have never scolded a group to get going. I have only complained if they simply supply links instead of a synopsis.

Blog Archive