Sunday, January 15, 2012

Exploring iPad Apps

Last week I was the beneficiary of two separate phone conversations concerning Mercy's adoption of the iPad for incoming ninth graders.  I learned a great deal from Lisa Tortorich, principal of Mercy Burlingame about their pilot program with the iPad.  They will be requiring an iPad of all students, next year.  I also spoke with consultant,  Lucy Gray about a whole range of topics.  But both conversations allowed me to ask them off the top of their heads for recommendations of iPad apps that we might consider putting on all staff and student iPads.  Yesterday, I added the ones I had not already explored.  Checking them out will be a fun project.  Here's the list:


Google Search
Google Translate
Places,
Google Earth
Evernote
http://www.mercyhsb.com/

Kindle
Calculator
Chomp
Diigo
Dropbox
Dragon Dictation
Edmodo
Explain Everything
Flashcardlet
Garageband
iMovie
Instapaper
Leafsnap
Blue FIRe
iBooks
Common Core Standards
Flipboard
iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote)
NYT
NPR
Open Culture
Skype
Twitter
NASA
Penultimate
Documents to Go

What would you add to my list?  Do you have any feedback on those listed here?



3 comments:

Roxie said...

We are trying to write a grant for classroom IPads, and Dragon Dication is one we are discussing. Why would you add this app to your IPads and how would you use it?

Detroit Sports Dork said...

I love Dragon Dictation as a personal productivity tool for keeping track of my thoughts. Beyond that, I'll be anxious to see how it might be useful. At least the price is right! (free).

Unknown said...

For kids who have output issues, Dragon Dictation can be useful in terms of starting their writing. They can brainstorm their ideas verbally, turn it into text and continuing editing.

It also might be useful for to do lists, for creating scripts for multimedia projects ... I have to get my imagination going!

Larry, another great resource for app stuff is Appolicious, btw.

Blog Archive