Our new teachers (and counselor) attended "Mercy 2.0 Boot Camp" this week. Several of our veteran staff members also attended. The "drill sergeant" for these sessions was Alison Kline-Kator, our brilliant religious studies teacher. Alison has a masters degree in Instructional Technology and is currently pursuing her doctorate in Educational Leadership. Her greatest credential for having run this camp is her innovative approach to teaching and her insatiable curiosity.
Here is the program she laid out for our "newbies"
Mercy 2.0 Boot Camp Agenda
Monday – Overview and Setting Up
- 1:1 Teaching and Learning, National Educational Technology Standards
- Overview of hardware, software
- iPad basics
- PowerSchool basics
- Google basics – Gmail, Groups, Calendar
- Moodle overview
Tuesday – How will I create content and materials?
- Brief overview of Keynote, Pages, Google docs
- Moodle – creating assignments, assessments
Wednesday – What tools can I use with my students?
- Garage Band
- Gale Databases
My every impression was that I have some wonderful new colleagues who intend to help us stay at the leading edge of instructional technology.
photo by S. Smith